Make the most of your holiday season with this ZOOLIGHTS guide blog! This bright Calgarian tradition has been around for 18 years, and every year we add something new and festive. What does that signal to our zoo-goers? It means that ZOOLIGHTS is your one-stop shop for the best holiday traditions.
To make this year simple, we’ve broken down the festive fun into four different activity zones. These zones are filled with old traditions, new memories to be made, and tons of cheer! Whether you’re on a date with your significant other, sharing the holidays with a group of friends, or having a night out with the whole family, there is something for everyone!
ZONE 1 – Location: Destination Africa and the Savannah Lawn
Add a little warmth to your night out in this section perfect for couples.
- Christmas Karaoke (NEW): Get in the holiday spirit by singing along to your favourite Christmas tunes!
- Lover’s Lane: Take your sweetheart for a stroll down the beautifully lit and choreographed light show.
- Memory Game: Test your memory by matching male and female animal images.
ZONE 2 – Location: In and around the ENMAX Conservatory
Fun to be found for the whole family!
- Candyland: Everyone’s favourite, a whimsical attraction lined with coloured lollipops, candy canes and a choreographed light show!
- Lollypop Rock: Grab a musical instrument and see how you can make the lights on the singing tree dance and change colour. The entire family makes a great band!
- Visit with Santa: Come for a free visit with Santa and see who’s on the naughty or nice list. (until Dec. 23rd)
- Enrichment Nights in Santa’s Workshop: Every Wednesday night in December, help Santa’s elves build holiday gifts for the animals at the zoo!
- The Enchanted Forest: Wander through the Butterfly Gardens turned into a dazzling Enchanted Forest. A perfect place for the family holiday photo.
- Oh Canada: Saunter through the Garden of Life themed to represent our favourite country in the world – Canada.
- Stay tuned for special features during the upcoming weeks!
ZONE 3 – Location: Grazer’s Lawn
There are many new and exciting additions for you to discover in Zone 3 at ZOOLIGHTS this year!
- The Wishing Tree presented by CrossIron Mills: Make a holiday wish for someone in need, and place it on the Wishing Tree. They could receive a gift card for $100 to CrossIron Mills, or four giveaways of $500 will be awarded to a deserving candidate throughout the event.
- One Degree of Change (NEW): A new interactive light display that demonstrates the impact of climate change on polar bears and how we can help make a difference.
- Inflatable Igloos (NEW): Don’t miss our two new inflatable igloos adorned with dazzling LED lights.
- Build a Snow Buddy (NEW): Get creative! Dress up, accessorize, and customize the snowman with a variety of different parts for the perfect photo op.
Games Galore (NEW): From giant puzzles to hula-hoops, it’s playtime for the entire family!
ZONE 4 – Location: West Lawn
Classic winter traditions are found here! Take a spin on our skating rink, make a classic Canadian snack, and warm up by a roaring fire.
- Skating rink sponsored by Mahogany Lakeside Living: Skate on our lovely rink set under a canopy of beautiful Christmas lights! Free skate rentals are available courtesy of KidSport Calgary.
- Skate-side fire pit: Warm up between whirls around the skating rink by the nearby fire pit.
- Kid stables: Turn the kids loose for a romp around in the mountainous heap of straw.
- Straw bale bowling: Partake in a round of giant bowling down an alley made of straw bales.
- Sugar Shack presented by Wild Wild West Events Centre (NEW): Stop in for a sweet maple syrup treat at the custom built sugar shack. Fee applies for treats.
When: November 27, 2015 to January 2, 2016.
ZOOLIGHTS runs nightly from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m, except for Christmas Day (December 25)
The gate closes at 8:30 p.m.
Zoo Year’s Eve (December 31) requires a separate ticket.
Where: Entrance is through North Gate only.
General Admission (16 years and up): $14 (plus GST)
Children (3-15 years old): $11.00 (plus GST)
Event Parking: $5
Tickets are available at the gate or BEAT THE CROWD by purchasing tickets online.