Family day weekend is approaching, and you’re looking for something fun to do with your crew. Or maybe you’re looking to have a great day out with friends. Whatever you have in mind, the zoo has something for you to make this long weekend extra memorable! Here are some suggestions to help you plan your visit.
1. Every day at 11 a.m., king penguins will shake, waddle, and roll their way around the Calgary Zoo. Walk almost ‘wing in hand’ with the birds, learn all about our ‘royal’ penguins, and finish just in time to grab lunch at Kitamba Cafe. This experience is FREE with general admission. (Arrived early? There’s a daily 10:30 penguin feeding that is sure to make a splash…)
2. Snap a #selfie in Canadian Wilds when you find our grizzly bear statue, and stroll up to Cequel Lodge and meet our river otter family. Whether it’s warm or chilly this weekend, our otters roll with the elements- and they have the best otter swimming pool around. See if you catch them on the slide!
3. Take in our popular daily Animal Feeding program- Saturday features the tigers! Take a rest in the Eurasia Tiger Amphitheatre, and watch one of our three Amur tigers enjoy a delicious snack. These famous carnivores don’t leave any meat on the bone…
4. Don’t miss seeing our hippos during the daily 1:30 p.m. Hippo and Giraffe Keeper Talk! Witness them show off ‘big mouth’ for the keepers, get a dental check up, and splash around the pool. After you’ve learned all you can (hippos can hold their breath HOW LONG!?), check out the rest of the African Savannah– including our growing slender-tailed meerkat family or our red river hogs.
5. Keep the African adventure going and move into the TransAlta Rainforest building next! Savvy zoo visitors keep an eye out for Kimani- she’s our youngest Western lowland gorilla, and the cutest to boot. Visit her troop, but don’t forget to stop by the mandrills, dwarf crocodiles, and the black-and-white colobus.
6. Take a break from running around and bask in the balmy tranquility of our indoor gardens in the ENMAX Conservatory. The Garden of Life is home to some fascinating plants, including trees bearing pomegranates, olives, coffee and…. chocolate!??
8. Need to refuel? Head to Kitamba Café for some hot food and tasty beverage. Whether you’re looking for steaming soup, fresh salad, or the classic burgers and fries fare, there’s a little treat for everyone to keep them going during a busy zoo day. A great ‘perk’ is the Starbucks coffee served at our adjoining cafe- Kitamba Java.
If you’re visiting on Sunday, sit down, relax and enjoy our our scrumptious Sunday Safari Brunch!
9. What’s cuter than a red panda cub? TWO red panda cubs! The twin boys in Eurasia love to play in the snow, and can often be found climbing trees and wrestling with each other. Don’t just take our word for it….