It’s official- Panda Passage at the Calgary Zoo opens in exactly two weeks! May is a big month for the zoo, and the opening of our Giant Panda building isn’t the only giant moment.
What can you look forward to?
The spring season is always busy at the Calgary Zoo, but this year we’ve outdone ourselves! In order to help our visitors make the most of the merry month of May, we’ve pulled together a list of the attractions to look forward to.
- High season programming is back! Each spring we shake up our free daily programming schedule, adding new features like Tiger Tales and bringing back old favourites, such as Incredible Birds. Remember to check the Daily Programming schedule each time you visit to enrich your visit with free talks and daily Animal Feeding!
- West Gate entrance is re-opening! For the first time in several years, zoo guests will be able to start their visit from the zoo’s West Gate on the south end of the island. Closed for City of Calgary construction and flood mitigation, the entrance will fully re-open, including parking available in the lot across the street on Zoo Road.
- A brand new bridge connection Prehistoric Park and the island will open! Long-time zoo fans will fondly remember an old suspension bridge that connected the back of the Prehistoric Park loop with Eurasia on the zoo island (behind Bactrian camels and what used to be Elephant Crossing- now the new Panda Passage building). After years of needing repair, the old bridge closed and was removed, and now we’re thrilled to debut a brand new bridge to replace it.
- Land of Lemurs opens for the season! Explore the Calgary Zoo in a whole new way, as the zoos most popular 2017 habitat opens for its second year. Immersive yourself in the lemur habitat and discover what lemurs do best: play, groom, leap between trees, search for leaves and shoots to eat and soak up the sun.
- Panda Passage opens! Experience adult pandas Er Shun and Da Mao and cubs Jia Panpan and Jia Yueyue in person as their habitat opens to the general public for the first time. This is event that shouldn’t be missed– this is the first time the Calgary Zoo has welcomed giant pandas in 30 years. Stay tuned for more details on how to attend opening day…
- Grazers restaurant opens! Our seasonal restaurant opens again from May 7 – September 7, 2018, highlighting fresh, locally sourced ingredients. The restaurant is family friendly and provides both buffet, a la carte, and appetizer menu service. Build up an appetite by previewing our menus here.
- Time-ticketing! Free of charge, book a special time during the day to visit the pandas. Simply visit Guest Relations when you attend the zoo and select the half hour when you would most like to visit Panda Passage. During this time frame you will have access to a fast track lane at the habitat – bypass big lines and visit the pandas right way.
Pandas are coming, and we can’t wait for you to get to visit them. We so excited to welcome Er Shun and Da Mao, and Er Shun’s two cubs Jia Panpan (Canadian Hope) and Jia Yueyue (Canadian Joy) to our Calgary Zoo family. While you’re visiting pandas, make sure to enjoy everything else the zoo has to offer.
See the pandas first! Engage and Inspire zoo members get a home-court advantage with fun sneak peeks and member previews from April 27- May 5 – which means panda visits before anyone else.