This Canada Day long weekend is the perfect time to cross off all ten of these amazing must do experiences. Bring your family and friends down for a multi-continental adventure conveniently located close to home in the wonderful park setting of the Calgary Zoo. The big question is: Can you fit them all in?
1. Make sure to set your watch to panda time.
Seeing the Giant Pandas is a fabulous experience as long as you plan ahead and take advantage of our timed ticketing. You can easily add your free timed ticket to your admission. It’s best to do this online before you arrive, but if you need to do it onsite you’ll want to head straight to the Plan Your Visit booth. We don’t want you to stand in line.
2. Lemurs are here, there and everywhere.
Walk with the lemurs, literally. Imagine walking among three kinds of lemurs without leaving the country—black-and-white ruffed lemurs, ring-tailed lemurs and red-fronted lemurs. If you haven’t done this yet, add it to your must-do list.
3. See Mother Nature’s painted paradise.
There is something magical about tropical settings: the humidity, the interesting plants, the gorgeous flowers and the incredible insects. Enter the butterfly gardens in the ENMAX Conservatory to see an enchanted land alive with the silent flutter of colourful wings.
4. Trust the waddlers to keep their thermostat low.
Penguin Plunge is a great place to cool off and learn fun facts and stories about our resident penguins. Our visitors always have tons of questions about our penguins so we host penguin keeper talks in penguin plunge every single day of the week. Stop by and watch them splash around and maybe eat a fish or two. Find the Penguin Keeper Talk — 10:30 a.m. daily.
5. We never let our animals get hangry.
Our animals all have different eating preferences and we like to keep their minds active and their bellies full with an enriching variety of eats. This also helps to ensure they’re always at their best. Plan to join us for one or all of our feeding time experiences with Cougars, Amur Tigers, Lions and Hippos. See how our different animals snack.
- Fridays — Cougar Habitat at 1 p.m.
- Saturdays — Tiger Amphitheatre (outdoor) at 1 p.m.
- Sundays — Lion Habitat at 2 p.m.
- Mondays — Hippo Habitat at 2 p.m.
6. You’re bound to work up an appetite.
Big snacks, smalls snacks, we’re the type of place that’s got it all snacks. Plus, we’ve got meals too. Will help you fill the void and stop your stomach from growling louder than the lions.
Grazers Seasonal Restaurant:
- Open daily 11:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. make a note that the kitchen closes at 4:30 p.m.
- Themed lunch buffet from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Appy hour 2 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Open daily 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. all summer until Labour Day.
- SMOKEHOUSE is the best of BBQ with smoked brisket sandwiches, smoked-in-house pulled pork, Spolumbo’s sausages and hot dogs.
- CHOPSTICKS is the best Asian fusion with noodle and rice boxes, plus smaller sized panda kid boxes.
7. Skip the line as a Panda Breakfast VIP
We were already a big hit before the pandas even go here and now we’re having to sneak people in early just to get everyone in to see these iconic black and white bears. Seeing this exhibit before the crowds is a real treat and the breakfast is pretty tasty too.
Reservations fill up quickly so book your seats today and join us for a larger-than-life dinning experience with pandas!
- Giant Panda Breakfast — Barbecue Tent 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.
8. All dreamers love screamers.
Have you tried a screamer? It’s soft serve ice cream mixed with a slushy to create the most deliciously screamy-dreamy combo. You won’t want to leave here without trying one and they come with free brain freeze! Find these are other summertime cool refreshments at Kitamba Java or the Dairy Bar.
9. Remember to pack your selfie stick.
The best way to see everything is to see again when you get home and compare with your family what your favourite zoo moment were. We have so many great photo ops including our many animal statues and horticultural designs. Don’t forget to get a group shot in our big red chair outside the ENMAX Conservatory.
10. Go back in time and make a splash.
Head over to Prehistoric Park to go digging for dinosaurs and launch a water cannon. It’s a great place to wander around and let the kids loose for some open area playtime. Nothing gets your imagination going like coming face-to-face with a dino.
How are you going to pace yourself?
That’s a pretty big list and you might want help fitting it all in. Visit our Plan Your Visit booth at our north entrance (just south of the penguins) and talk to our Customer Experience Guides for tips on the best action plan for your day.