Oh Canada! We want to see your best photos of iconic Canadian Wildlife!
Canada is home to some of the most iconic wildlife & wild spaces on Earth, and the Calgary Zoo is honoured to play a role in protecting this natural heritage. The ongoing support of our community allows us to spearhead and take part in 9 conservation programs that safeguard native species. From the whooping crane to the northern leopard frog, symbols of Canadian wildlife are being protected across the country thanks, in part, to our members, donors, visitors, and online community. So we'd like to take the opportunity to give back.
Starting on June 1, 2021, share the best photos that you have taken of Canadian wildlife with us for a chance to be featured on our website and across our social media channels (the "Contest"). Starting on Wednesday, June 9 (and every Wednesday thereafter during the Contest Period), we will select one winning image to share on our website and social media channels with photo credit to the photographer. Each individual whose photo is chosen will receive two free tickets to an upcoming Focused Photography event at the Calgary Zoo or two free day admission passes to the Calgary Zoo!
What to do:
- Submit your photos of iconic Canadian wildlife to us by email to [email protected] using the subject line "Canadian Wildlife Photo Contest".
- Your submission must include: your name, the species featured (if known), and the location the photo was taken. Feel free to include any additional information about the photo that you wish to share.
- Have fun! We can't wait to see what you share.
*By submitting photos to us, you confirm that you have read and agreed to the Canadian Wildlife Experiences Photo Contest Rules and Terms & Conditions as outlined below.
The contest starts on June 1, 2021. The first winning photo will be selected and shared here on our website and on our social media channels on Wednesday, June 9 (and subsequent Wednesday's after) Look for the "Wild Wednesday" post. Good luck and have fun!
Terms & Conditions
By submitting photos to the Contest, you agree to the following terms (the "Terms & Conditions"):
- You acknowledge that the photo is your original work.
- Individuals who submit photos to the Contest grant the Calgary Zoo the right to use their photos for the purpose of marketing the Contest or other Calgary Zoo programs and for subsequent display on the Calgary Zoo website and/or social media channels without further contact or compensation from the Calgary Zoo.
We retain the right, at our discretion, to modify the Terms and Conditions. Your continued submission of photos to constitutes your acceptance of all modified Terms and Conditions.
What makes a winning photo? Some tips from the Calgary Zoo team!
Here's what we're looking for:
- The photo was taken a safe distance away.
- The photo is of native Canadian species.
- Rarity of Canadian species - something we may not see a lot of.
- Clarity, focus and overall look of the image.
- Photos that showcase the species in its beautiful native habitat.
- Special consideration will be given to photos of conservation program species: northern leopard frogs, black-footed ferrets, black-tailed prairie dogs, swift fox, burrowing owls, Vancouver island marmots, greater sage-grouse, whooping cranes, fishers, or half-moon hairstreak.
Canadian Wildlife Experiences Photo Contest Rules
By submitting photos to us, you agree to the following rules (the "Rules"):
- The Contest runs from June 1, 2021 to September 1, 2021 (the "Contest Period")
- The Contest is open to everyone.
- Must be 18+ or have parental consent to enter.
- Photos must be of Canadian animals – mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians. Live animal photos only.
- Exotic animals, those not native to Canada, are excluded from consideration.
- Photos must be taken a safe distance away (evidence of the photographer interacting with the wildlife directly will cause the photo to be excluded).
- We accept photos in digital format only; must be a JPG.
- For our purposes, portrait images work better than landscape.
- You may submit multiple entries, but you can only win once.
- Photos submitted will be considered throughout the entire Contest Period, not just during the week they are submitted.
- Photos must be submitted via email to [email protected] Photos submitted via other means will not be reviewed or entered into the contest. If your photo is selected as a winning image, we will contact you via the email address you used for your submission.
- Starting on Wednesday, June 9 (and every Wednesday thereafter during the Contest Period), we will select a winning photo and share that photo on our social media channels with photo credit to the photographer. Each individual whose photo is chosen for this purpose will receive two free tickets to an upcoming Focused Photography event at the Calgary Zoo or two free day admission passes to the Calgary Zoo!
- Focused tickets are valid for the date of the event they are issued for. Day admission passes are valid for day admission only (not valid for ZOOLIGHTS admission) and will expire on December 31, 2021.
Wild Wednesday Photo Gallery
The winning photos will be featured here and in our "Wild Wednesday" social post every Wednesday from June 9, 2021 to September 1, 2021!
Wednesday, June 9
Photographer: Lori Stainer
Species: American white pelicans
Location: Frank Lank, Alberta
Wednesday, June 16
Photographer: Laurie Brewster
Location: Calgary, Alberta (taken along the Bow River, near Carburn Park)
Wednesday, June 23
Photographer: Neil Almond
Species: Calliope hummingbird
Location: Creston, British Columbia
Wednesday, June 30
Photographer: Bart Onyszko
Species: American black bear
Wednesday, July 7
Photographer: Anita Niven
Species: American bullfrog
Location: Minnekhada Park in Coquitlam, British Columbia
Wednesday, July 14
Photographer: Akini Peters
Species: Great grey owl
Location: Sundre, Alberta
Wednesday, July 21
Photographer: Matt Piotrowski
Species: Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep
Location: Waterton Lakes National Park, Alberta