Accountable to the Director, Guest Services, the Banquet Manager is primarily responsible for ensuring the front of the house (as defined) operations of the catering services and Grazers Restaurant are managed on a year round basis. Front of the house is defined as the cash handling, catered/bar/beverage functions and service/bar/beverage of Grazers restaurant operated throughout the year. The role is directly responsible for providing superior service to all customers both internal as well as external.The incumbent will, through the implementation of the PEP program, effectively and efficiently manage the human resource function within the Catering Department and Grazers Restaurant of Guest Services. The role provides leadership through the implementation and management of our Health and Safety program to safeguard the well being of our human resource and customers at the Calgary Zoo.
- Develops and delivers an annual business plan and strategy and assisting in achieving financial sustainability by developing and creating revenue generating events throughout the year for Grazers.
- Develops and maintains effective collaboration with internal departments to ensure the successful execution of year-round events and operation of Grazers Restaurant.
- Develops and establishes the wine/bar/beverage menus for Catering and Grazers Restaurant on a yearly basis.
- Ensures Safari Sunday brunch revenues are reached by developing, creating and implementing specialty events and providing reports accordingly.
- Provides support to the Catering back of the house in performing their duties within their functional areas of operation which includes, budgeting, menu development, reports, etc.
- Interacts with Guest Services Managers to facilitate an efficient and effective team environment.
- Provides timely information to Catering staff in a fashion contributing to the effective support and delivery of all zoo activities.
- Interacts and communicates with suppliers and brokers for the procurement of goods and services for the Calgary Zoo.
- Consults with other Zoo departments in the provision of goods and services to assist in the delivery of their activities and events.
- Responsible for ordering and maintaining a par stock of alcoholic beverages.
- Review, develop, and implement policies and procedures to maintain productivity within organizational guidelines.
- Ensure that guests, both internal and external, are provided with outstanding service at all locations within functional authority and responsibility.
- Manage the opening and closing of all catered functions in the areas over which functional authority and responsibility is exercised by ensuring;
- Catering staff are provided with training, professional development, leadership and motivation
- Clear, concise direction is provided to the staff regarding operational requirements.
- Effective and efficient staffing in all revenue centres, as business dictates.
- Proper hiring procedures are followed with the focus placed on customer service oriented staff.
- Established cash handling procedures are followed.
- Proper work habits and safety procedures are followed.
- Ensure that all new staff attend required orientation and training initiatives from time to time as set out in operational policy.
- Communicating promptly with management and staff to meet and maintain expected operating performance standards.
- To ensure business plans and long term goals are achieved by;
- The protection of all inventories in accordance with security policies and procedures.
- Preservation of equipment and facilities through proper maintenance and cleaning.
- Analysing sales information provided for decisions regarding sales and product changes.
- Ensuring that products sold are competitively priced.
- Consulting with Managers and Directors regarding construction and/or renovations of revenue generating facilities and service production areas.
- Assist in the preparation of Business Plans/Annual Budgets as required.
- Develop and implement comprehensive training programs, including customer service training, cash handling, and cross training in conjunction with Guest Services Manager Training and Staff Development as required.
- Produce schedules in a timely fashion. And verify payroll and labour reports to ensure budgetary objectives are met.
- Ensure that the hiring, disciplining and dismissing of staff are performed in accordance with organizational policies and procedures.
- Assist with purchasing and delivery of all catering services in accordance with strategies developed, approved budgets, and organizational policies. Including;
- Performing, where necessary, physical inventories ensuring they are executed and that inventory levels are conducive to maximizing sales
- Ensuring the inventories are received and stored in a secure manner and that merchandise is protected from theft and pilferage.
- Ensuring that all locations are well stocked and displayed in ways most conducive to drive sales.
- Manage the Performance Support System of the Society to ensure that all goals and objectives of the Catering department are aligned with the Organizational Goals and Objectives as laid out from time to time.
- Ensure all Calgary Zoological policies and procedures are followed.
- Build customer loyalty and optimise revenues through support and delivery of our Service Excellent program.
- Assist other Guest Services Managers in performing their duties within their functional areas of operation when necessary. This would include regularly scheduled days off, vacation, split shifts etc.
- Support the goals and objectives and protect the image of the Calgary Zoological Society.
- Complies with the zoo’s health and safety program
- Other related duties as required.
- Graduate of a post-secondary institution or equivalent ideally with a business/commerce or Hotel and Restaurant Management Degree.
- Minimum 5 years related experience in food/beverage and catering services.
- Minimum 3 years supervisory experience ideally related to food/beverage and catering operations.
- Demonstrated abilities related to business planning, budgeting, training/staff development, and human resource management.
- Excellent written and verbal communications, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement while contributing and participating in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to operate and manage with minimum supervision within defined guidelines.
What the zoo has to offer:
- Competitive compensation package.
- Annual performance bonus.
- Flexible benefits plan, including a health spending account.
- Employer matching RRSP program.
- Discounts on food, beverage and merchandise.
- A complimentary annual pass for you and your immediate family members.
- A fun work environment and the opportunity to work in a park full of wild animals!
If you are a highly motivated and experienced individual we invite you to send your resume, along with a cover letter, in confidence, no later than March 18, 2018. Please quote the position title in the subject line.
The Calgary Zoological Society
1300 Zoo Road NE
Email: [email protected]
PLEASE, NO PHONE INQUIRIES.Applicants are thanked in advance and advised that only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.