Bartender - Seasonal
Start date: March 17, 2018 End Date: September 9, 2018
Accountable to the Catering Manager, the bartender is responsible for every aspect of the set up, delivery and tear down of the bar, alcohol and related beverage items for banquets and for the zoo's on-site restaurant.
- Complies with the zoo’s health and safety program.
- Follow safe food handling procedures.
- Responsible for adhering to all policies, procedures, and departmental standards in relation to alcohol and liquor laws, including ensuring over consumption and/or under age consumption does not occur.
- Assist in reviewing event contracts with Banquet Captain, ensuring all bar expectations and needs are met.
- Responsible for proper set up and maintenance of product prior to and during event/function.
- Responsible for preparing and serving both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages to guests based on the Calgary Zoo standardized drink recipes.
- Assist in serving, clearing and cleaning when bar is not open to the client.
- Complete Incident logs in detail related to the catered event and the delivery of that event.
- Provide accurate information regarding consumables at a catered function for the purpose of invoicing, to include bar inventory and reconciliation for catered functions.
- Answer questions about beverage menu items and make recommendations upon request.
- Prepare beverage orders that servers input into system.
- Set up bartending stations and dining areas to prepare for the next shift.
- Monitor bar inventory levels and communicate needs to the Catering Coordinator.
- May assist in seating guests if the hostess is busy.
- May assist in delivering drinks if the servers are busy.
- Perform closing cleaning duties such as tidying up bar.
- Must successfully complete WHMIS program provided by the Calgary Zoo.
- Must successfully complete ProServe Liquor Staff Training.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- Some bartending experience would be an asset.
- Some knowledge of wine, spirits, beer and cocktails.
- Some experience in a banquet environment.
- Must have a great attitude and provide excellent customer service.
- Complete tasks with a sense of urgency.
- Must take initiative.
- Must be able to work within a team environment.
- Friendly, outgoing personality.
- Independent worker.
- Service guests, promptly and courteously.
- Cash handling.
- Able to work in fast pace environment.
- Exposure to hot & cold elements in kitchen.
- Periodical exposure outside the kitchen on zoo grounds.
- Consistent exposure to flora and fauna on zoo grounds.
- Flexible work schedule including early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs), walking and standing for long periods of time required.
What the zoo has to offer:
- Competitive compensation package.
- Annual performance bonus.
- Flexible benefits plan, including a health spending account.
- Employer matching RRSP program.
- Discounts on food, beverage and merchandise.
- A complimentary annual pass for you and your immediate family members.
- A fun work environment and the opportunity to work in a park full of wild animals!
If you are a highly motivated and experienced individual we invite you to send your resume, along with a cover letter, in confidence, no later than February 12, 2018. Please quote the position title in the subject line.
1300 Zoo Rd NE
Email: [email protected]
NO PHONE ENQUIRIES PLEASE. Applicants are thanked in advance and advised that only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.