Outreach Education Interpreter
Limited Term Position
Start date: March 12, 2018 End date: Approx. June 15, 2018
***There is the possibility to combine this position with a Summer Camp Leader position to extend to August 24, 2018***
35 hours per week; weekly hours will vary depending on bookings and will include weekdays, weekends, and overnight shifts
We are looking for enthusiastic, flexible and motivated individuals who enjoy sharing their passion for environmental education and conservation.
Reporting to the Manager, Outreach Education and receiving day to day support and guidance from program coordinators, the Outreach Education Interpreter is responsible for the preparation and presentation of various education programs. These will include curriculum-based offerings to school groups, birthday parties, sleepovers, camps, and leisure programming for various ages such as corporate team builders.
Delivery of programs will take place on a variety of shifts including weekdays, weekends and overnights. You will assist multiple areas of the Outreach Education team and be trained on each product.
Responsibilities vary from program to program and include:
- Deliver high quality, formal and informal programs at all age levels in an entertaining and engaging manner.
- Excellent, positive classroom management and group engagement for a variety of client types.
- Research and write programs and activities as assigned.
- Evaluate peers and programs and provide constructive feedback.
- Maintain and upgrade resource materials.
- Demonstrate initiative to improve programs and procedures, actively participate in department planning.
- Incorporate conservation education messaging and activities into programming.
- Work with multiple program coordinators on a range of program types.
- Provide exceptional customer service to a variety of internal and external clients.
- Provide program specific training to Zoo volunteers and seasonal education staff.
- Maintain a safe, clean working environment for animals, visitors and zoo staff.
- Perform all duties in a professional manner according to zoo policies and guidelines.
- Complete all other duties as required, including interpretive programming with other Education Department activities.
- Other related duties as required.
- At least 4 years post–secondary education with a background in natural sciences (biology/zoology/botany) and/or natural history interpretation and/or education. Equivalent experience will be considered.
- Willingness to work collaboratively and the ability to maintain a positive attitude in a dynamic work environment are essential.
- Knowledge related to The Calgary Zoo and its collection is an asset.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to present information to audiences of all ages and education levels in an entertaining manner.
- Ability to meet project goals and deadlines.
- Demonstrated excellence in classroom management and student engagement.
- Familiarity with the Alberta Curriculum of Studies is an asset.
- Demonstrated excellence with interpretive techniques such as: art, audio/visual, demonstrations, drama, graphics, guided tours, music, prop talks, puppetry, role-playing, storytelling.
- Basic competency in Microsoft Suite software.
- Valid first aid certificate.
- Possess and maintain a cleared criminal record check and vulnerable sector check.
- Excellent on-site mobility; light load lifting, pulling a wagon of educational resources on grounds to classrooms, long hours standing. Overnights are required for sleepovers. Long periods of time may be spent on foot outdoors in all weather.
What the zoo has to offer:
- Competitive compensation package.
- Discounts on food, beverage and merchandise.
- A complimentary annual pass for you and your immediate family members.
- A fun work environment and the opportunity to work in a park full of wild animals!
If you are a highly motivated and experienced individual we invite you to send your resume, along with a cover letter, to Human Resources no later than February 12, 2018.
1300 Zoo Rd NE
Email: [email protected]
NO PHONE INQUIRIES PLEASE. Applicants are thanked in advance and advised that only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.