Calgary, AB - November 27 UPDATE - The Calgary Zoo is open for visits during the day and ZOOLIGHTS! We have worked with AHS and the province to ensure our plan complies with the new public health directives and are confident we can operate in a way that keeps our visitors, staff, volunteers and animals safe!
- We have been operating with hourly and daily visitor caps since May 23rd. We have further reduced our visitor caps to 25%.
- Advanced timed tickets continue to be required. Admission tickets are not sold on site.
- We continue to rent wagons and mobility-support items (wheelchairs). These are disinfected between uses.
- Kitamba Café seating will be limited to 4 per table from the same house household. Total occupancy will be reduced to 25% to comply with the restrictions. A staff person will monitor the entrance to ensure capacity limits.
- The new maximum capacity for each of our buildings will be posted on the entrance. Roving staff members will ensure revised building capacities are being adhered to.
- The North Gift Shop will have a reduced capacity to 25%.
- The lower parking lot has been opened to ensure visitors have room to physically distance from others.
- The Savannah loop remains open to support visitors in maintaining physical distancing.
- Handwashing and hand sanitizing stations can be found throughout the zoo for visitor use.
- We are operating cashless and remind visitors to bring debit or credit to pay for food or retail purchases.
- Masks are strongly recommended everywhere at the zoo, but mandatory for everyone 2 years and older inside all of our buildings, in accordance with City of Calgary Bylaw 26M2020.
- Masks are mandatory for staff and volunteers indoors and outdoors everywhere on the Calgary Zoo (unless they are working in an office by themselves).
To support the new public health directives, we had to change/cancel a few planned events:
- Beary Merry and Festive Brunches have been cancelled; and
- A few nights of ZOOLIGHTS exceeded the 25% cap on attendance that was outlined in the new public health directives and changes needed to be made.
We are in the process of reaching out to guests who purchased tickets and are impacted by these changes/cancellations. We know this inconvenienced and disappointed some of our visitors and appreciate everyone’s understanding during these challenging times.
Thank you for your continued support of the Calgary Zoo
Things will continue to change and we’re committed to keeping regular and transparent lines of communication with all our valued guests, including through regular email updates, public statements on our website and social media, and at our gates. We encourage everyone to GET INFORMED.
The Calgary Zoo Team