New Refugee Welcome Program
The Calgary Zoo is pleased to be a part of a city-wide effort to welcome refugees. As one of the most popular locations for families to visit in the province, we offer a variety of entertainment and education activities.
We are pleased to provide complimentary 12-month memberships to all new refugees who now call Calgary home.
- Unlimited admission to the Calgary Zoo and all of its exhibits, 364 days a year! Learn more about being a member.
- The individuals who qualify for this free membership are Government Assisted Refugees, Privately Sponsored Refugees, Blended Visa Office Referred Refugees, BVOR and BSR.
- You can activate your complimentary 12-month refugee memberships by applying in person at the zoo's North Gate Guest Relations counters.
- Proper documentation is necessary for all who apply, so please bring that documentation with you when you arrive. Details of the document are:
- The document is titled Confirmation of Permanent Residence, and is provided by the Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
- It will show us the date of entry into Canada, the names of the individuals (both adults and children) and the category of immigration.
- For the individuals that are eligible (refugees only) the code is CRS for Privately Sponsored Refugees, the code CR1 is for the Government Assisted Refugees.
All refugees must request their memberships within one year of the date they arrive in the country and the complimentary membership will be valid for one year from the date issued.
How do you get to the Calgary Zoo?
- It is very easy to visit us! We are located beside Memorial Drive in the N.E of Calgary, with nearby access to Deerfoot Trail and other major roads.
- There is complimentary parking for members at our North Gate year round, and at our West Gate during high season.
- There is also direct transit to the zoo, as Calgary's LRT CTrain has a stop directly connected to the zoo's North entrance. This Calgary Zoo stop is located on the CTrain's Blue (69th Street/ Saddletowne) Line and is connected to our main entrance through a tunnel.
To ask questions about the details of this program, please contact us at 403-232-9300 or [email protected]
- Calgary Zoo daily hours and information.
- A map of the CTrain routes can be found here.
- Not a refugee? You could qualify to our fee assistance program ZooShare through the City of Calgary.
Now you're at the zoo and you'd like a map? Download it here.
Welcome to the Calgary Zoo family- we can't wait to meet you!