Celebrating your child's birthday at the calgary zoo!
We support a very flexible cancelation policy if you need to change your Event date. Please ask us for more details.
Important Health and Safety Update: Alberta’s Open for Summer Plan
Alberta has entered Stage 2 as of June 10th, 2021.
Please visit Alberta.ca for more COVID-19 Information. The 3-stage roadmap outlines how restrictions will ease while protecting the health-care system and increasing vaccinations rates in the province.
Here is the reopening plan from an Event perspective:
- Outdoor social gatherings – up to 20 people with distancing (Indoor social gatherings still not permitted)
- Funeral services – up to 20 people, indoors and outdoors (receptions permitted outdoors only)
- Wedding ceremonies – up to 20 people, indoors and outdoors (receptions permitted outdoors only)
- Youth activities (day camps, overnight camps, play centres) – resume with restrictions
- Distancing and masking requirements remain in effect
- All restrictions lifted, including ban on indoor social gatherings
Looking for an awesome Birthday Party idea? We are open for 2021 & 2022 Birthday Party Bookings!
The Calgary Zoo is the perfect venue for your child’s next Birthday bash! What better way to celebrate their big day than with their closest friends and favourite animals too? Best of all, you just need to book and show up! This Birthday Package has been created to save you both time and money.
Please contact us today for more information on our Birthday Party Packages!
Phone: 403-232-7770 or Email: [email protected]
- Birthday Parties are available on Saturday’s and Sunday’s throughout the year.
- All Birthday Parties are 1.5 hours and take place at 11:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m. or 3:30 p.m. (pending availability).
- Price: $30 per person (same pricing for children & adults; Service Charge and Tax is included).
Birthday Parties include:
- Admission: all-day admission tickets
- Party Location Rental: choose from one of three locations (Indoor or Outdoor; pending availability)
- Food & Beverage: birthday meals for each guest
- Includes: meal, side, juice box, cookie, and a small toy
- Please note that you must order a minimum of 10 to select that meal or side choice
Meal Options Side Options Black forest ham & swiss sandwich Potato chips Cheese burger Vegetable sticks (with dip) Hot dog Fruit salad Grilled cheese sandwich Whole fruit (apple or orange) Mac n' cheese Macaroni salad Bowl of chili (12 oz.) and artisan dinner roll Potato salad
Birthday Party Enhancements
Calgary Zoo Gift Bags - $15 per gift bag + GST
- Gift Bags include a small animal stuffy and a Calgary Zoo Reusable Bottle. Note: they must be ordered at least one week in advance of the party.
Face Painter - $145 per hour
Carousel Ride - Price is TBD (pending availability)
Desserts & Snacks (per person)
- Cupcakes - $3
- Cotton candy - $4
- Popcorn - $3
- Fruit cup - $5.95/cup
- Veggie cup with ranch dip - $5.95/cup
- Charcuterie box - $9.95/box
- Assorted wraps display - $175
- Assorted cheese & crackers display - $175
- Market fruit display - $115
- Vegetables & hummus - $80
- Assorted cookies & brownies - $55
Artisan Sandwich Box (includes can of pop, fresh whole fruit, bag of chips, and mini cookie)
Minimum order of 5 sandwiches per selection - $16.95/person
- Cranberry Turkey Swiss (turkey, lettuce, swiss cheese, cranberry aioli)
- Alberta Roast Beef and Smoked Cheddar (shaved Alberta beef, lettuce, smoked cheddar, horseradish aioli)
- Black Forest Ham and Swiss (black forest ham, swiss cheese, honey mustard aioli)
- Deviled Egg Salad (egg salad, lettuce, onion, celery)
- Bombay Curry Turkey Wrap (turkey, spring mix, green apple, curry aioli)
Gourmet Sandwich Box (includes can of pop, fresh whole fruit, bag of chips, and mini cookie)
Minimum order of 5 sandwiches per selection - $21.95/person
- "Bowden Farm" Chicken Pesto (grilled chicken breast, basil pesto, spring mix)
- Argentinian Steak (Alberta beef fillet mignon, chimichurri, arugula)
- Mediterranean Vegan Wrap (falafel, sweet garlic aioli, pickled red onions, local "inspired greens")
- Artisan Salamis (salami, spicey salami, sundried tomato aioli, arugula)
- Mexican Bao Bun *served on a traditional steam bao bun (braised pork shoulder, chipotle apricot vinaigrette, carrot and onion escabeche, "Zoo grown" microgreens)
- Soft drinks (assorted varieties) - $3/can
- Juices (assorted varieties) - $4/bottle
- Individual milk (white or chocolate) - $3/carton
- Bottled water
- Wild ginger kombucha (380 ml) - $5
- Happy Planet juice (325 ml) - $6
Is there a member discount?
Unfortunately, there is no discount for members. Birthday Parties are sold as a group package and the price per person is not affected if some of the guests have passes or memberships.
Does the Birthday Party ‘price per guest’ apply to both children and adults?
Yes, the price applies to any guest ages 3 years and older; children under the age of 3 are free.
Am I required to have a minimum number of adults at the birthday party?
Yes, at parties for children turning ages 3 – 5, we require one adult chaperone for every three children; at parties for children turning ages 6+, we require one adult chaperone for every four children.
Can we bring in our own food?
No outside food is permitted except for a birthday cake or birthday cupcakes.
What about the cake?
You are welcome to bring your own cake or we can provide you with cupcakes (chocolate or vanilla) for a price per person.
Do we have to serve our own cake?
Yes, you are responsible for providing all plates, napkins, cutlery and cutting/serving utensils for your cake.
Can we bring in our own decorations?
Yes, you are welcome to bring in your own decorations but none that need to be attached to the walls or ceiling. Please note: due to the safety of the animals, all balloons, piñatas, confetti and balls of any kind are not permitted on zoo grounds and are therefore not permitted in party locations. We will supply you with some basic birthday party decorations. We are not able to permit early access to the party location so you will need to put up your decorations in the first few minutes of the party.
Where do guests park?
All guests should park in the North Parking lot and enter through the North Entrance. Please note that parking is not included in your Birthday Party. The cost is $12 per vehicle daily. Any attendees with a valid Engage or Inspire membership may use their pass for parking access. The West Gate Entrance is closed.
What is the cancellation policy?
Birthday Parties are non-refundable; however, you may reschedule your party by providing us with at least two weeks’ notice (a new date would be pending availability). There is a $75 Administrative Fee to move the Birthday Party date.
Can we come in early or stay at the zoo after the Party?
Yes, your Birthday Party Package includes admission to the zoo for you and your guests. You may enter the zoo before the party and/or stay after the party to enjoy the zoo. Please note that you will not be able to access the party location before the party start time and you must take all belongings with you from the room at the end of the party.
How do party guests get into the zoo?
Prior to the party, you will confirm and inform us of your final guest numbers, and make your final payment. At this point, we will send you an invitation that you will share with your guests; it is your responsibility to distribute the invitation to your guests prior to the party, giving them entry to the zoo. Guests will be required to show their invitation (either printed or on a mobile device) at the North entrance and will then be admitted into the zoo. Please note that there is no will-call window.
How do I confirm my party and make payment?
We book parties on a first-come first-served basis and a party is not confirmed with us until we receive full payment. The booking fee is non-refundable so please be 100% sure of your commitment when you book. One of our Event Sales Coordinators will discuss all of the details with you and accept payment (by credit card) over the phone.
Will there be someone in the party location to assist me?
A member of our Catering/Concessions Team will deliver your Food & Beverages and drop-in periodically.
Can I store food, gifts, décor, etc. in the party location while we are in the zoo?
Unfortunately, the zoo does not provide any storage areas – all belongings must leave the party location when your party time has ended. We suggest bringing or renting a wagon to help you cart items between your vehicle and the zoo. Rentals can be arranged at our North Gift Shop.
What do people usually do for the 1.5 hours in the party location?
It’s entirely up to you! What we normally see our party families do is enjoy their meal, perhaps a quick easy game or craft (if you’re thinking of a craft, we suggest something simple and easy to clean up), and open presents. We will supply you with a Scavenger Hunt game (in advance of your party) which can be used while you enjoy the zoo!
Can I have a birthday party for two children together?
Yes, we do allow combined parties for two children. Please note that all of the same rules and features apply.
What if it rains or snows on the day of my party?
If the zoo is open, the party will run as scheduled; there are no refunds or rescheduling due to inclement weather.
Do you have any playgrounds for kids?
Yes! The Calgary Zoo offers several play areas for the little ones. They include: Brawn Family Foundation Bugtopia (located in the Canadian Wilds), Kinsmen Zooventure Playground (located in Destination Africa), and the Calgary Co-op Kids Zone (located in Asia).