A Photography Event For All Skill Levels
September 23, 2017
7a.m. – 9 a.m.
Adults ONLY (18+)
$40 per person (Engage and Inspire Members receive $10 off)
TICKETS ON-SALE AUGUST 29
Explore the zoo in a whole new way this September! The Calgary Zoo is FOCUSED on lemurs. Land of Lemurs is home to black-and-white ruffed lemurs, red-fronted lemurs, and ring-tailed lemurs. Explore the Land of Lemurs habitat for that perfect photo. Take the opportunity to photograph the incredible splendour of the Calgary Zoo in the early hours of the morning as the leaves begin to change colour.
FOCUSED is based on the well-known fact that the Calgary Zoo has some of the city’s most spectacular morning light. So often, photographers are not given a chance to experience this wondrous time at the zoo. Moreover, it is often difficult to snap the perfect shot of your favourite animal because the zoo is so full of energetic people. It’s for these two reasons that the Calgary zoo has decided to host an early morning photography event as part of our celebration of our new habitat Land of Lemurs.
BONUS! Ever wanted to learn more about wildlife photography? As part of FOCUSED this September photographer Mike Drew will be offering tips and tricks of the trade in the Land of Lemurs habitat. Learn how to photograph through glass, wire, and how to get that great photo in the morning light at the Calgary Zoo.
You can find Mike Drew’s work every Sunday in the Mike Drew On The Road column in the Calgary Sun. A selection of those photographs and stories have been collected in a new book from Rocky Mountain Books called On The Road With Mike Drew which will be available in bookstores soon! Visit his website here.
Please fill out this waiver - it must be signed and brought with you on the morning of September 23.
Date: Saturday, September 23, 2017
Times: Gates and Registration open at 6:30 am.
Event Times: 7 a.m. – 9 a.m.
Parking: North Gate entrance only
Tickets cost $40 per person and includes:
- Early morning access to the zoo.
- Learn tips and Tricks from photographer Mike Drew in Land of Lemurs habitat from 8 a.m. – 9 a.m.
- Full day zoo admission.
FOCUSED parking is $10. Guests must pay for parking at CPA kiosks prior to leaving the zoo.
Engage and Inspire Members tickets = $30
- Members can only purchase tickets by calling 403.232.9300.
- Members will be asked to show their ID and membership cards upon arrival at the event.
- Engage and Inspire Members park for free as part of their membership benefits.
When photographers arrive, they will have access to all of the zoo’s grounds. Guests will be provided with a schedule of all animal enclosure and building opening times and are then welcome to roam around the zoo at their leisure.
Ticket Sales Information:
Tickets go on sale Tuesday August 29 until September 23 2017 (or until they are sold out).
Purchase Tickets online by clicking here, or by call 403.232.9300.
- There are a limited amount of tickets available, so purchase them ASAP.
- There are no refunds or exchanges on tickets.
- See the FAQ page for information on rain checks - tickets can be purchased online on this page or at 403.232.9300.
- This is an adult ONLY event - participants must be 18 years or older to attend.
- With the purchase of your tickets you will receive a photo release and commercial use waiver that needs to be signed and brought with you on the day of the event.
- In accordance with the zoo's general visitation policy "the commercial use of photographs, video and film you take during your visit is strictly prohibited without full written consent". At the start of the event, each guest will be asked to sign a waiver recognizing that they are not to use photos taken at the event without the zoo's written consent. After the event, all participants are welcome to request the use of their photos for commercial purposes. Guests are free to use photographs, video and film for personal purposes (such as on your personal Facebook page or blog).
- The schedule and list of animal exhibit openings will be sent via email the week of the event. We can also provide you with a paper copy upon arrival. However, in order to help our conservation efforts, we encourage all guests to download the files onto your mobile device for the day of the event.
- Please keep in mind that when working with a live collection, schedules may fluctuate. However, we will do our best to advise all guests of any changes to the schedule.