The Calgary Zoo announced today that it has received approval from Alberta Health Services to reopen and will be reopening to the public on Saturday, May 23.
“As we warmly welcome our community back to the zoo, we’re delighted to offer a Zooventure experience they’ll never forget!” said Alison Archambault Calgary Zoo’s Director of Brand & Engagement. “This safety-minded one-way outdoor only experience is sure to delight, bring wonder and connect our visitors to nature in fun, playful and educative ways”.
Visitors will choose their own adventure as they follow one-directional playful paw prints that take them through the zoo in a self-guided way, mixed with fun animal facts.
The Calgary Zoo implemented extensive health and safety measures in collaboration with Alberta Health Services. They also surveyed public, members and donors, receiving more than 7,800 responses, to understand how to make visitors feel safe during these challenging times. Additional modifications to the Zooventure experience were made to incorporate that feedback.
In addition to following all Alberta Health Services Guidelines, the experience will include:
- Visitors must purchase a timed ticket for entry in advance of arrival at CalgaryZoo.com from May 21. TICKETS WILL NOT BE SOLD ONSITE. Frontline and essential workers that received complementary tickets from the Calgary Zoo do not require an online timed ticket.
- Access to the zoo will only be available through the North Entrance. The West Entrance will be closed.
- Visitors will have an exclusive feeling as they visit, with reduced capacity and timed ticket entry in place.
- All of the outdoor viewing areas will be open Certain animal habitats will have adjusted viewing in place to keep all animals safe.
- Physical distancing will be supported with directional paw prints safely distanced 3 metres apart throughout the park to keep households safely apart from each other.
- Physical distancing will be in place in animal viewing areas.
- Washrooms will be open, with increased cleaning protocols in place.
- The Zoo Crew will be out on park regularly spraying and sanitizing high-touch areas.
- Extra hand sanitizer stations will in place throughout the park.
- Food & beverage (including Kitamba, Dairy Bar, and Tusk & Grill), and outdoor picnic seating is available. Limited capacity indoor seating and retail gift shop items will be available at Kitamba.
- Security, First Aid and Lost & Found is open.
Some things will be unavailable until further notice as the Zoo supports a safe experience for all, including: Wagon rentals, Water fountains, Carousel, Playgrounds and Indoor facilities, including: Grazers; Discovery Centre; Enmax Conservatory; and, Gift Shops.