Calgary, AB – The Calgary Zoo announced that it is returning to a one-way Zooventure format starting today.
“As the weather warms, we warmly welcome visitors young and old to our one-way Zooventure, we’re delighted to offer an experience they’ll never forget!” said Alison Archambault Calgary Zoo’s Director of Brand & Engagement. “We take the opportunity and responsibility of giving visitors a safe outdoor experience during these challenging times very seriously and continue to work closely with AHS to ensure we are aligned with public health directives.”
Visitors will choose their own adventure as they follow one-directional arrows that take them through the zoo in a self-guided way, mixed with fun animal facts.
The Calgary Zoo recently surveyed the public, members and donors to understand how to make visitors feel safe during these challenging times and has made several modifications to the Zooventure experience. In addition to following all Alberta Health Services Guidelines, the experience will include:
- Visitors must purchase a timed ticket for entry in advance of arrival at www.calgaryzoo.com. TICKETS WILL NOT BE SOLD ONSITE.
- Access to the zoo will only be available through the North Entrance. The West Entrance remains closed.
- Visitors will have an exclusive feeling as they visit, with reduced capacity and timed ticket entry in place.
- Certain animal habitats will have adjusted viewing in place to keep all the animals safe.
- Physical distancing will be supported with directional paw prints and refreshed white arrow markers safely distanced 3 metres apart throughout the park to keep households safely apart from each other.
- Physical distancing will be in place in animal viewing areas.
- Washrooms will be open, with increased cleaning protocols in place.
- Food & beverage (including Kitamba Café, Dairy Bar, and Tribal Treats), and outdoor picnic seating is available. There is limited capacity indoor seating at Kitamba Café.
- Retail gift shops are open with limited capacity.
- Playgrounds are open, with zoo staff monitoring visitor capacity in The Brawn Family Foundation’s Bugtopia.
- Prehistoric Park is open (weather dependent).
- Wagon and mobility support items (wheelchairs) are available for rental at the North gift shop.
- Gorilla amphitheatre will open soon (weather dependent).
- Security, First Aid and Lost & Found is open.
Note: Indoor animal habitats (Penguin Plunge, Savannah, Rainforest, Cequel Energy Lodge, and Panda Passage) and buildings (Enmax Conservatory and the Karsten Discovery Centre) remain closed to support enhanced public safety measures announced in December.
The following will be unavailable until further notice as we support a safe experience for all:
- Water fountains
Health & Safety Information
- Visitors are strongly encouraged to wear masks everywhere at the Calgary Zoo, but mandatory indoors (restaurants, washrooms, retail gift shops and soon...indoor animal habitats). Staff and volunteers must wear masks at all times on park and whenever they are unable to maintain 6 feet of physical distancing from others when working in administrative spaces.
Thank you for your continued support of the Calgary Zoo.
Things will continue to change and we’re committed to keeping regular and transparent lines of communication with all our valued guests, including through regular email updates, public statements on our website and social media channels, and at our gates.
The Calgary Zoo Team