Calgary, AB - Thanks to a generous investment by the province of Alberta, complemented by a generous donation from the Taylor Family Foundation, the Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo has undertaken a massive project to redevelop the Canadian Wilds zone and deepen our focus on iconic Canadian wildlife conservation, including providing sanctuary to polar bears.
We’re excited to share the next phase of the redevelopment is on the horizon. Commencing on August 2, 2022, the following changes will take place in the Canadian Wilds:
- The Canadian Wilds North Path will be closed. This means that bighorn sheep, Rocky Mountain goats and the residents of the Jihad Shibley Rocky Mountain Aviary will no longer be viewable.
- The Canadian Wilds South path will remain open. As you enter through the lower entrance by the zoo bridge, you can travel along the pathway through to the Brawn Family Foundation Bugtopia and back the way you entered. On this route, you will see cougars, black bears, grizzly bears, North American porcupine, moose, and gray wolves.
- Some species will be temporarily relocated offsite during the construction. These species include:
- Currently offsite: North American river otters, muskox, bison, woodland caribou and whooping cranes.
- Offsite as of August 2: bighorn sheep, Rocky Mountain goats, and the residents of the Jihad Shibley Rocky Mountain Aviary.
Don’t worry as these amazing species will return to zoo grounds in 2023 once their new habitats are ready! When the habitats reopen in Fall 2023, the new Canadian Wilds experience will envelop you in beautiful and immersive habitats with compelling storytelling that encourages us to reflect on the human connection to the natural world and our responsibility to protect it.
Throughout this process, we are working hard to minimize impacts while continuing to provide the best possible experience for both visitors and the animals we love and care for. If you’re planning a zoo visit in the coming weeks, be sure you take a stroll through the Canadian Wilds North Path before it closes until 2023!